May 7, 2009

the mighty tailor's ham


I love my tailor's ham. I could not press curved seams without it. I also discovered it's a big help when pinning curved seams together. Here are two pieces, one with a convex (hill) curve and the other with a concave (valley) curve.


Even though the seam line is the same length on each, the convex seam allowance is a wider curve so there is more fabric along the it's edge, which means I can't pin by just matching up the seam allowances. But if I drape the pieces over the ham,


the seam line easily slides into place. Neat.

You don't even have to buy a ham. It's the easiest project. Draw an egg shape about the size of an iron, add seam allowance, and sew a scrap of cotton and a scrap of wool together. Leave an opening on the larger end so you can turn the whole thing right side out and fill the ham. I was told they should be filled with saw dust so if you use steam it is drawn through the fabric. I filled mine with with wood bedding material I picked up at the pet store.


Pack, pack, pack it in. And when you think it's full, pack some more. I jammed the wood chips in with a pestle until my hands were sore. But look at this ham.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the explanation of making a ham
    It looks very nice!!
    I'm going to try to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the most beautiful ham I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that you're so resourceful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you for sharing! In need of one, making this shall be one of the new year's resolutions :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to make this because some of the bags I make have awkward seams to press. Thank you Joyce

    ReplyDelete