February 9, 2010

hook & eye tape - eye side


Just like I did for the hooks, I lined the eyes along the basted line.


And pinned the tape in place, this time eyes to the face of the fabric.


I sewed just 1/8 inch from the edge because I hadn't planned ahead enough while patterning to allow extra fabric to cover the hooks. Novice pattern maker. 


That's so close, ironing the teeny tiny allowance brought home why seams are sewn with allowance, then trimmed. After pressing and folding everything in place, I basted so I wouldn't have to deal with any more pins while sewing. I sewed once, a bit over 1/4 inch from the edge to secure the eyes.


And once more to secure the edge of the tape.


From the reverse.


And hooked together.


I can not explain how happy I was when the hooks were covered. Now on to the boning and then the shoulder straps. I've hit the light at the end of the tunnel phase!

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I love seeing your progress and this really helped me to see how to insert the hook and eye tape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debi! Had I patterned better and allowed for more fabric to cover the eyes there would be no need to fold the tape under the hooks. Now I know for the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you soooo much for showing this step-by-step. This is exactly what I needed to see to help me figure out how to close 18 tops that I will be making for a play.

    ReplyDelete